At Jim’s Fire Safety, we specialise in fire protection services. We believe the best way to protect our clients and their assets is through thorough testing and preventative measures. Investing in regular smoke alarm testing services is insurance that your staff (or tenants) will be alerted if a fire starts in your building. Fire detection devices are essential for landlords and businesses. If you don’t have a working smoke alarm installed in your property, you are putting the occupants at risk.
Without functioning alarms…
- You are 57 percent more likely to suffer property loss and damage
- Building occupants are 26 percent more likely to suffer serious injuries
How often do I need my smoke alarm tested?
Knowing your obligations is an essential component of fire safety. Aside from ensuring the ongoing safety of your building, Jim’s Fire Safety team can help you make sure you tick all the boxes when it comes to testing requirements. If you are a real estate agent or a landlord, you are obligated to ensure regular smoke alarm maintenance in rental properties. Jim’s Fire Safety team can help you manage the fire safety status of each property you manage, with no fuss. The frequency of your testing obligations will vary based on the nature and location of your building. Enquire today for your specific testing obligations, or request a quote from one of our team members today.
Real Estate Services
Smoke alarms are compulsory in every home. Monthly testing is recommended for all alarms on your property. You should always hire a technician to do a yearly test and make sure the batteries are replaced regularly. If you are a landlord, you are obligated to have your warning devices tested in between each change of tenancy.
According to the Building Code of Australia, it is a requirement by law that mains powered smoke alarms are installed in new properties, and any existing properties that have been renovated significantly. Domestic alarms need to be replaced every ten years.
We have a range of packages available for real estate agents and landlords who manage various properties. Take a look at our Real Estate Services page for more information. Our dedicated team can help you manage your compliance requirements with one easy appointment.
Why should I choose Jim’s Fire Safety for smoke alarm testing?
Working fire warning devices could save you valuable minutes should a fire ignite on your property. It is important to have your devices regularly tested to ensure maximum protection from fire. At Jim’s Fire Safety, we know how to test your alarms thoroughly and maintain safety in your building. Our capable customer service team will keep detailed records of your tests and results – as well as advise you on when you might need to update your system. We offer scheduled maintenance packages to real estate agents with multiple properties – this way you can manage your smoke alarm testing obligations with ease.
The standard requirements for maintenance and installation of smoke alarms vary from state to state. The following rules and regulations apply to residential properties in the following areas:
New South Wales
- Landlords must install and maintain smoke alarms according to the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000.
- Alarms installed from 1 May 2006 must comply with the AS 3786.
- Private dwellings must have alarms that are hard-wired to mains electricity supply or battery power.
- Boarding houses must have alarms that are connected to the main electricity supply, or powered by a non-removable 10- year long-life battery.
- Mains powered alarms (with a battery back-up) are required in buildings constructed after 1 August 1997.
- Boarding houses must have hard-wired smoke alarms.
- Testing and maintenance of the alarms must be completed according to the AS 3786.
- The Residential Tenancy Amendment Act 2012 requires functioning smoke alarms to be installed in residential rental properties in Tasmania from 1 May 2013.
- Homes built before 1 July 1997 need to have installed alarms according to the AS 3786.
- Homes built after this date should have had 240-volt smoke alarms installed at the time of building.
- The owner of a residential premises (or acting owner/real estate agent) must test each device according to section 13E of the Fire and Emergency Amendment Regulations 2011. Smoke alarm testing intervals must be no more than 12 months.
- Immediately replace any alarms that aren’t working or change the battery and re-test.
- Clean each alarm in the property according to manufacturer instructions.
- Smoke alarms must be installed in accordance with the Building Code of Australia (BCA). IF the building was constructed before 1 May 2015, the devices do not have to be interconnected.
- Homes or rental properties purchased before 1 February 1998 need to have a battery powered alarm. For dwellings purchased on or after this date, 240 volts, mains-powered smoke alarms must be installed OR a 10-year, non-removable battery powered alarm.
- Dwellings built on or after 1 January 1995 require a 240 volt mains powered alarm.
- Devices must be compliant with the AS 3786 standard.
- From 1 January 2017, when replacing smoke alarms, they must be of a photoelectric type that complies with the AS 3786. Each device must be hardwired to the main power supply, and not contain an ionisation sensor.
- From 1 January 2017, smoke alarms must be interconnected with every other alarm in a dwelling.
Australian Capital Territory
- Any home built after 1994 must have a mains powered smoke alarm installed.
At Jim’s Fire Safety, our technicians inspect and test smoke alarms in order to meet the AS 3786 standard for residential devices. For more information about our testing services, contact us today. We can talk you through the smoke alarm maintenance process or recommend one of our real estate packages for your business.
Smoke alarms are an essential first line of defence against fires. By notifying property owners as early as possible, they help people to act early in the event of a fire and dramatically improve outcomes. In fact, property owners are 57 percent more likely to suffer property loss or damage if they don’t use smoke alarms, and residential occupants are 26 percent more likely to suffer serious injuries.
The benefits of installing smoke alarms are clear. But it’s not quite as simple as installing them and forgetting about them. For them to work effectively, they require diligent maintenance and must be checked regularly by professionals. This is particularly true for real estate agents who must ensure that they follow rigorous guidelines to keep their properties and occupants safe.
Here’s a closer look at why Jim’s Fire Safety is the natural choice when it comes to smoke alarm testing services.
Your smoke alarm tester needs to have the appropriate knowledge when it comes to legislation. State requirements vary greatly, and you need to ensure that you are covering all of your bases and fulfilling everything that is required of you.
Our team is trained in all of the latest developments, and they have the knowledge necessary to perform a stellar job wherever you may be found. We are comfortable adjusting our approach to fit the varying state requirements in a range of places such as New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania, Northern Territory, Western Australia, South Australia, Queensland and Australian Capital Territory.
This means that there’s no chance you’ll become confused or lost in legislation and run the risk of incurring fines or fees.
It is recommended that smoke alarms are checked every month to confirm that their batteries are fresh and all of the components are working. What’s more, it is recommended that an annual check is performed by a certified of professional.
We have worked on countless projects, and we have honed our skills to understand how smoke detectors work inside and out. This means you can rest assured that everything will be performed perfectly and you can have faith in your smoke detectors working and fulfilling their function.
Decades of Experience
Our team has a combined 150 years of experience, and we have worked on all manner of projects. This means that whether you’re a homeowner looking for a professional touch or a large facility requiring large-scale maintenance we can cater to your needs.
Of course, we have developed other areas of our business. This means that you can rely on friendly and efficient service and a pleasant overall experience when working with us.
Get Your Free Quote
Don’t allow your smoke detector to fall into disrepair: keep them in check to give yourself the best chance of avoiding disaster. Visit our website today and use our simple tool to generate a free quote. If you have any questions or concerns, a member of our team will be happy to assist you.
Jim’s Fire Safety specialises in fire safety protection for homes & workplaces around Australia. We offer a variety of services such as smoke alarm testing and fire extinguisher testing to ensure you are safe if a fire does occur. Browse our website further or contact us to learn more.